Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wolf-Dog

Met him about three months ago.
When, one day he placed his paws with a graceful hop atop
 an undersized, rain-stained, weather-worn fence.
bubblegum tongue hung from his mouth, panting.
Dripping beads of wolf-dog sweat.
 
Extending his greeting, that tenor call so sweet.
My  tune would not suffice, but oh, to sing his song!
Content to sigh and shuffle by.
watching him all the while when, all of a sudden, I see.
He smiles and winks at me?!
 
He beckons me to stay, and chat a while.
Having some time, I willingly oblige.
When I reach his yard his eyes are hard.
Though  his tail says "I'm a friend"
 
Most would say he is comical.
Long gangly legs don't fit massive paws.
Coat of soft, salt and peppery hues.
Pieces of it everywhere, shedding.
Pieces of my wolf-dog friend.
Downy and course at the same time.
He tends to to overheat.
With one ear up he listens.
The other, he lets sleep.
 
He thrusts his nose into my coat, sniffing where I've been.
  Then places one over-sized paw in my palm to shake with him.
I take it and shake it, scratching his back for a while.
my meeting and greeting with the wolf-dog ends.
Terribly handsome; devilishly sweet,
My new wolf-Dog friend.
 You say your ears are itching as you,
Drink of  these pure waters I'm sipping
So I go ahead and give them a little scratch. 
  
Today I miss the wolf-dog; He lives right past my creek.
Sometimes I wonder where he goes when he's not here with me.
 
 
 
.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment